Understanding of Acrylic Paint Definition is beneficial for any beginner. Why? Because you need to know the nature and character of your paint to be able to use it competently and effectively. So what is Acrylic Paint and what makes it different from any other medium?
Acrylic Paint is a paint made of pigment suspended in acrylic polymer emulsion. It is modern, accessible, saturated and versatile. You can use acrylic paints and mediums for any kind of painting techniques and styles, from finely detailed portrait to abstract art.
Acrylic Painting as a trend is a relatively young. The first acrylic patents were issued at the very beginning of the 20th century. The opening of professional artists paints happened in the 1960's. By the way, Liquitex and Politec Artist's Colors were there very first product lines produced for artists. Since then acrylics had spread around the world and Acrylic Painting have gained a fantastic popularity.
Acrylic Paint Features
The secret of Acrylic Paint's popularity is in its unique characteristics:
• Water Resistance. Acrylic paint is water-soluble but becomes water-resistant when dry.
• Drying. It dries pretty fast allowing working with layers.
• Versatility. Extremely Versatile. Furthermore, you can modify the properties and expressive qualities of paint by using acrylic mediums, gels, pastes or adding water.
• Flexibility. The surface quality of the acrylic remains flexible and painting won’t crack over time. As a result, you can create thick, raised paintings.
• Surface. Acrylics can be used on many different surfaces, such as paper, canvas, glass, cloth etc.
• Durability. Good quality acrylics don't fade in time, the colors will look the same now and in years. However, student grade acrylics turn to a darker shade when dry.
• Appearance. Acrylics can resemble an oil painting, watercolor, or look unique.
• Cleaning. Wet acrylic paint is easy to remove from paintbrushes and skin with soap and water.
From Theory to Practice
I hope this article helps, and now you have the understanding of Acrylic Paint Definition and Features. Therefore, time to bring it from theory to practice! Dip your brush into paint and let the creativity come from within!
Also, if you want to feel more confident among all the variety of acrylic paint types and complement acrylic paint definition, check this articles out:
- Acrylic Gel Medium – Uses and TipsAcrylic Gel Medium is one of the acrylic mediums […]
- Acrylic Paint Mediums – Types and Uses ExplanationWhen it comes to the creation of extraordinary […]
- Krylon Spray Varnish – My Spray Varnish FavouriteToday, I want to tell you about Spray Varnish or […]
- Liquitex Gloss Medium and VarnishWhy purchase two separate products if you can get […]
- Liquitex Varnish – Great Protection for Your ArtworkToday I want to tell you about Liquitex Varnish […]
Overall, Acrylic Paint is a convenient modern tool that is great for both pros and beginners, so don't hesitate to give it a try! And if you have any questions left, please leave me a comment below. And make sure to stay tuned for new art supplies posts!