So what is Acrylic Painting? And what makes it different from any other medium? All the answers you will find below!
Acrylic painting - is a relatively new trend in visual art, that covers multiple techniques and styles, from abstract to superrealism. The first acrylic patents were issued at the very beginning of the 20th century but the first 'emulsion paints' didn't appear until the 1930's.
The first professional artist's paint ranges in the 1960's. Liquitex and Politec Artist's Colors were there very first product lines produced for artists. Since then acrylics spread around the world and Acrylic Painting have gained a fantastic popularity.
Unique characteristics of Acrylic Paints
What makes Acrylic paint so special and popular? The secret is in the unique characteristics of the paint:
- Acrylic paint is made of pigment suspended in acrylic polymer emulsion.
- Acrylic paint is water-soluble but becomes water-resistant when dry.
- It dries pretty fast, which allows working with layers.
- Good quality acrylics don't fade in time, the colors will look the same now and in 300 years. However, student grade acrylics turn to a darker shade when dry (oil painting goes yellow over time).
- Properties and expressive qualities, such as appearance, hardness, flexibility, texture, drying speed, can be modified by using acrylic mediums, gels, pastes or adding water.
- The surface quality of the acrylic remains flexible and painting won’t crack over time. That's why acrylics allow you to create thick, raised paintings.
- Acrylics can be used on many different surfaces - paper, canvas, glass, cloth etc. Furthermore, you can use mediums to modify their binding characteristics.
- Acrylics can resemble an oil painting or watercolor and other water-based media.
- Wet acrylic paint is easy to remove from paint brushes and skin with water (whereas oil paints require the use of a hydrocarbon).
To get full information about Acrylic Paint I invite you to check out this article - Acrylic Paint Guide. In this guide, you can find everything you need to know about paint grade, colors, viscosity and more.
Acrylic Painting - Perfect for Pros and Beginners
As you can see, the use of acrylic paint has many advantages. I personally think this paint is as good for brand new beginners as for pros. First of all, for its permanence and fast drying qualities. In addition to that, acrylic paint is also extremely versatile and can be used in multiple fine art painting styles. Lastly, it doesn't crack, doesn't fade, and is affordable to buy. If you want to know the exact difference between oil and acrylic paint, check out the Difference Between Acrylics and Oils.
Should you have any questions about Acrylic Painting, please don't hesitate to ask in a comment below. Also, make sure to stay tuned for new posts dedicated to painting and art supplies.